Friday, September 16, 2011

Classroom Tour...



Y'all... 19 days in the school year and I *FINALLY* figured out my schedule for the AM. Crazy sounding, right?!? Well, this year has seen some changes and now we have breakfast in the classroom and "FOCUS" time at 8:00-8:45 to give us time to work with kiddos. Problem has been though, starting at 8:00 is fine if the kids were done eating and for kids who are independent enough to do things on their own... us, not so much. So we've been doing writing journals and then starting calendar. Going smoothly now and we've been doing Cara's wonderful Calendar Companion (check it out at her TpT store). I blew mine up using PowerPoint and then wrote in the titles for the boxes myself. The kids heart this a lot more than doing it up on the ELMO. We bring our binders down to the floor and do it as we complete the calendar on the wall. The kids have told me they like doing it this way as well--as opposed to their desks. *Sorry for the sideways-sloppy-ness of my writing... I got a little lazy when writing it.

Our calendar wall (we do this with the calendar companion.) I have two helpers and normally we circle the partners in the ones place and write odd/even. We just didn't this morning.

Here are our class agreements (rules) and our awesome clip chart (that you can get here). This is a modified version of Cara's at the first grade parade. Next to it is our schedule, which has been changed since I took that picture in August-but you get the idea. The kids, and other teachers, really love the chart and I just love the idea of it. I've always used a clip chart system where they start on top and move down if they don't make good choices and then they can move back up. But this one seems to work so much better because it rewards those students who are always making good choices and helping others. I don't know how many girls I had last year that stayed on our top color all year and never had to move down--until one of them wanted to know what it was like to move her clip. of course the only way was down and she started making choices she knew would make her move her clip down, just to see what her mama would say if she came home with it moved down.

On to the rest of the classroom... Hope you enjoy taking a sneak peek into my home away from home! Sorry the pictures are so bad... I took the pics while the kids were at the library and didn't turn my classroom lights on :/
Chapter Books, Series Books, Non-Fiction/Fiction Library
Fiction books Alphabetized by Author, Seasonal Books (green basket). I put the books we read as a class in the green bucket after we read them and they can read them during DEAR time or when they are done with their work.
Markers, Extra Crayons, pencils, construction paper
Completed Work Folder... has worked amazingly well this year!
Reading Nook/Safe Place
Promethean Board and Centers
My counter area for my reading/data/teacher info, etc.
teacher desk... kinda messy, so excuse it... it's Friday! ha!
back wall with restroom, fiction/nonfiction part of library, Sherlock (class pet), tubs.
Carpet Area, reading group activities, Sound Cruncher, and Centers
Promethean Board, Class Agreements, Alphabetical part of library
side wall of room that houses more reading group activities/my seasonal books
Tubs (Math and Reading), Browsing Box, magazines
Word Wall, Going for the Gold Clipchart, Schedule, Units


0 comments:

Post a Comment