Sunday, September 18, 2011

Reading groups

Slide1

We start our reading groups this week and since I have 6 non-readers, I realized I needed a new way to document them instead of just putting it in my 5 subject spiral that I use for each of my groups. So after searching the web for a guided reading/running records sheet and not being able to find one like I had in mind; I made this. It's pretty self-explanatory and I'm hoping it works for me the way I envision it going. I will keep track of their progress as they move levels, each book we read that day, the date, and I personally like to keep track of how long I met with each group. The skill box is for what we worked on during our meeting. And then there are 6 boxes for each students name to be placed on--which track accuracy, wpm, and comp. I figure this will be easier than keeping track of 6 papers for each student during the group and can be transferred to one page as our intervention team needs. In the past, I was having to go through and copy each page out of the spiral and then mark out the other students names for documentation. Not fun.

Slide2 These next sheets are our district standards. Our Reading Coach gave us these at the beginning of the year. I just made a smaller document so I could tape it in my binder for quick reference as I am reading with kids. I used post-its last year but our levels and fluency changed this year (they were WAY too high!) so I made these. You can get them here and here.

 

I will have 6 groups this year since I am planning to break up my non-readers into two different groups. Our literacy library is huge and has what appears to be a wonderful resource book that I plan on using to help these babies along. We'll be starting with letter recognition, then letter sounds, and work our way up from there. I will meet with them every day of the week during our FOCUS time (15 min each) and then during our reading group time (which I do during our independent math work--I find they are much more independent during this time and there are not as many interruptions. I personally like to walk around during their independent reading work that we do in our Response Journals and help students and check their understanding.)

Anyone out in blogger-land care to share how they track reading progress/interventions? Or share how they do their reading groups?!? I am always wanting to get better with this.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is adorable, love the header! :-) Good luck with your reading groups, I hope it goes well.

Post a Comment