Sunday, September 11, 2011

102 minutes...

That's how long it took for the planes to hit and for both towers to fall down.That's how long it took for the world to change and for a whole nation to be left with broken hearts. As I watch live coverage now in my living room, I am still brought to tears in the same way I was 10 years ago as a 17 year old senior in high school.  

That unforgettable Tuesday morning still feels like yesterday. I sat in my Pre-AP Advanced Law Studies class. My teacher left for a moment... when she came back, she turned on the TV. Both towers had been hit. We watched the coverage until it was time to switch classes.

My next class was FCS. I walked in the room to see 3 firefighters sitting in front of the TV watching the events unfold in NYC. I felt honored to be sitting in front of heroes--knowing they would be doing the same thing in that moment without hesitation. 

The rest of the day was heavy. During lunch, I rushed to watch the news. By that time, the towers had collapsed. I cried.

I remember thinking how strange it was that there wasn't a plane in the sky to be seen-- that alone made the threat more realistic since I lived about 15 minutes away from the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport.

We were all scared in Dallas. We were told they were targeting all the WTCenters--and we had one in downtown that was right off a major highway in the heart of a city.

Our volleyball game was postponed that night as well.

I, like many Americans, was confused and scared. I was a 17 year old kid who didn't understand how people could hate a nation and could perform such a horrific act against people they had never met before. 

I remained scared until I watched the first Yankee game after the attacks. I saw the strength/unity the city of New York displayed that night. It brought a sense of healing for me. It was such a beautiful display of people joining together to begin a long and painful healing process.  

I'd always wanted to visit New York--only b/c I wanted to go to the top of the WTC. I went there back in November and I never understood the massiveness of the twin towers until that moment. I saw the foundation of the memorial fountains in the ground. It was an emotional experience for me to say the least. I can't wait to go back to New York City and see the beautiful fountains opened and eventually a completed Freedom Tower.


I remember you.... even though we never met, I remember ALL of you! You are always in my heart and in our nations heart. May God continue to comfort  your family and loved ones and know that you are NEVER forgotten.

0 comments:

Post a Comment